In 2010, Greenwood Elementary celebrated its 100th birthday.
The original building, constructed in 1910, was named Whiffin Hall and served students in grades first through twelve. Still serving students today, this is the oldest building in use in the Lee’s Summit School District.
In 1949, Greenwood Elementary joined the reorganized Lee’s Summit School District, and in 1950, the two story brick building was converted into an elementary school for grades first through sixth. Our third and fourth graders still learn in the rooms of the upper level of the building. Teachers and students alike enjoy these classrooms for their character and historical appeal.
In the 1960’s, a new addition was added which included classrooms, a cafeteria, and a library. First and second graders still learn in this addition. During this part of the century, Greenwood Elementary served the town of Greenwood and all the surrounding country area.
In the 1970s, a new addition was added to the back of the building making more space for students. Our fifth and sixth grade students still learn in this wing. Greenwood Elementary served all Lee’s Summit students living south of 50 highway. With new home construction, our school grew to almost 800 students before Trailridge opened in the 1990’s.
In 2002, our beautiful new media center was built. By now, six schools serve the students living south of 50 highway, Greenwood, Trailridge, Woodland, Hawthorn Hill, Summit Point and Sunset Valley.
Today Greenwood Elementary serves approximately 370 students, kindergarten through sixth grade. Our attendance area is south of 150 in Greenwood and Lake Winnebago. Although our school has gone through many physical transformations over the last 100 years, Greenwood still retains the feel of a small town, community school.
805 W Main, Greenwood, MO 64034
8:25 AM - 4:25 PM
9:10 AM - 4:10 PM
10:10 AM - 4:10 PM
9:10 AM - 1:40 PM
Green and White